21 July 2018 – Taittinger regatta day 1

Start position
Start time
Start engine hours
Distance travelled
Finish position
Finish time
Finish engine hours
Louise, Alex
  • SW1-3
  • Sunshine
  • HW Portsmouth 06:55, 19:30
  • LW Yarmouth 11:40, 1.4m
New faults
Np->Sp %
We got back on board yesterday and moved to the walk-ashore pontoon. Then removed the cruising chute from its furler and rigged a temporary halyard from the jib halyard, with a simple outhaul looped through the traveller. That should make the sail usable in race conditions. That was followed by Taittinger’s champagne reception at RSYC and a sociable supper there. A arrived by taxi after midnight.
There’s little wind this morning, but the race officer wants us out ready to go. A breeze appears after a short delay and we’re away, after the XODs and folkboats. There are only 4 gaffers racing. We opt for boat end start on port, to get out into the last of the ebb tide as soon as possible. We’re heading through Hurst Narrows to ‘Warden’, so need to beat the tide. We get a good start, but we’re struggling in the light winds, compared to ‘Rosenn’, ‘Windflower’ and ‘Foxhound’.
The tide is turning as we approach Hurst. We stay in the middle of the channel, to avoid the currents that have already turned at the edges, but it’s slow going. We stay out for one tack to many. Eventually we get into Colwell Bay and in amongst the yachts anchoring for lunch. The next challenge is Warden Ledge. We seem to have cleared if by inches, then we’re being dragged back towards it. We tack back out into the tide and try again. We’re about 20m further West when we come in, but it makes all the difference. We’re into Totland Bay, then out to the mark and an easy run home.
It’s back to RSYC for the evening. We enjoy the Towers party and fireworks from the balcony there.
Posted in Uncategorized and tagged , .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.